2020-2021 CAG Visiting Clinical Professor
JOHN MARSHALL MD MSc FRCPC
Dr. Marshall is a Professor of Medicine and Director of the Division of Gastroenterology at McMaster University, as well as a consultant gastroenterologist at Hamilton Health Sciences in Hamilton Ontario. He completed his B.A. and M.D. at Queen’s University, and then undertook his residency training and M.Sc. in Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics at McMaster University. He is a Full Member of the Farncombe Family Digestive Health Research Institute. His publications include over 200 academic papers and book chapters and over 250 abstracts. Dr. Marshall is the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of the Canadian Association of Gastroenterology (JCAG). He is also an Associate Editor of ACP Journal Club and Evidence-Based Medicine, and an Editorial Board Member for the Journal of Crohn’s and Colitis. Past honours include the Canadian Association of Gastroenterology (CAG) Young Investigator Award (2008), the CAG Young Educator Award (2006), the CAG Visiting Clinical Professorship (2020), and Fellowship in both the American Gastroenterological Association (AGAF) and CAG (CAGF). Dr. Marshall’s clinical and research interests include inflammatory bowel disease, post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome, gastrointestinal bleeding, endoscopy, clinical trials, clinical epidemiology, health outcomes and health economics.
Potential topics of presentation:
- Selected aspects or general review on inflammatory bowel disease epidemiology and management
- Selected aspects or general review on functional bowel disorders including post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome
- Selected aspects or general review of clinical practice guidelines
- Selected review of medical publishing
1. Marshall JK, Thabane M, Garg AX, Clark W, Salvadori M, Collins SM. Incidence and epidemiology of irritable bowel syndrome after a large waterborne outbreak of bacterial dysentery. Gastroenterology 2006;131:445-50.
2. Marshall JK, Thabane M, Borgaonkar M, James C. Post infectious irritable bowel syndrome following a foodborne outbreak of acute gastroenteritis attributed to a viral pathogen. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007;5:457-60.
3. Marshall JK, Thabane M, Steinhart AH, Newman J, Anand A, Irvine EJ. Rectal 5-aminosalicylic acid for induction of remission of ulcerative colitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010;CD004115.
4. Marshall JK, Thabane M, Garg AX, Clark WF, Moayyedi P, Collins SM. Eight-year prognosis of post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome following waterborne bacterial dysentery. Gut 2010;59:605-11. Commentary: Wang HW, Chang L. The Walkerton outbreak revisited at year 8: predictors, prevalence and prognosis of post-infectious IBS. Gastroenterology 2011;140:726-8.
5. Kassam Z, Hundal R, Marshall JK, Lee C. Fecal transplant via retention enema for refractory or recurrent Clostridium difficile infection. Arch Intern Med 2012;172:191-3.
6. Marshall JK, Thabane M, Steinhart AH, Newman JR, Anand A, Irvine EJ. Rectal 5-aminosalicylic acid for maintaining remission of distal ulcerative colitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012(11):CD004118.
7. Bollegala N, Brill H, Marshall JK. Resource utilization during pediatric to adult transfer of care in individuals with inflammatory bowel disease. J Crohn Colitis 2013;7:e55-60.
8. Bressler B*, Marshall JK*, Bernstein CN, Bitton A, Jones J, Leontiadis GL, Panaccione R, Steinhart AH, Tse F, Feagan B, Toronto Ulcerative Colitis Consensus Group. Clinical practice guidelines for the medical management of ulcerative colitis: the Toronto Consensus. Gastroenterology 2015;148:1035-58 (*co-principal authors).
9. Fallone CA, Chiba N, Veldhuyzen van Zanten S, Fischer L, Gisbert J, Hunt R, Jones N, Render C, Leontiadis G, Moayyedi P, Marshall JK. Clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection: the Toronto consensus. Gastroenterology 2016;151:51-69.
10. Marshall JK, Bessette L, Shear NH, Lebovic G, Glass J, Millson B, Gaetano T, Gazel S, Latour MG, Laliberte MC, Thorne JC. Canada’s study of adherence outcomes in patients receiving adalimumab: 3-year results from the COMPANION study. Clin Ther 2018;40:1024-32.
11. Papp KA, Haraoui, B, Kumar D, Marshall JK, Bissonnette R, Bitton A, Bressler B, Gooderham M, Ho V, Jamal S, Pope JE, Steinhart AH, Vinh DC, Wade J. Vaccination guidelines for patients with immune-mediated disorders on immunosuppressive therapies. J Cutan Med Surg 2019;23:50-74.
12. Panaccione R, Steinhart AH, Bressler B, Khanna R, Marshall JK, Targownik L, Afif W, Bitton A, Borgaonkar M, Chauhan U, Halloran B, Jones J, Kennedy E, Leontiadis GI, Loftus EV, Meddings J, Moayyedi P, Murthy S, Plamandon S, Rosenfeld G, Schwartz D, Seow CH, Williams C, Bernstein CN. Clinical practice guideline for the management of luminal Crohn’s disease: the Toronto consensus. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2019;17:1680-713.
13. Barkun AN, Almadi M, Kuipers EJ, Laine L, Sung J, Tse F, Leontiadis GI, Abraham NS, Calvet X, Chan FKL, Douketis J, Enns R, Gralnek IM, Jairath V, Jensen D, Lau J, Lip GYH, Loffroy R, Maluf-Filho F, Meltzer AC, Reddy N, Saltzmann JR, Marshall JK, Bardou M. Management of nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding: guideline recommendation from the International Consensus Group. Ann Intern Med 2020 [in press].
14. Sadowski D, Camilleri M, Chey WD, Leontiadis GI, Marshall JK, Shaffer E, Tse F, Walters JRF. Canadian Association of Gastroenterology clinical practice guideline on the management of bile acid diarrhea. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2020;18:24-41.
15. Sands BE, Armuzzi A, Marshall JK, Lindsay JO, Sandborn WJ, Danese S, Panes J, Bressler B, Colombel JF, Lawendy N, Maller E, Zhang H, Chan G, Salese L, Tsilkos K, Marren A, Su C. Efficacy and safety of tofacitinib dose de-escalation and dose escalation for patients with ulcerative colitis: results from OCTAVE Open. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2020;51:271-80.
16. Torres J, Bonovas S, Doherty G, Kucharzik T, Gisbert JP, Raine T, Adamina M, Armuzzi A, Bachmann O, Bager P, Biancone L, Bokemeyer B, Bossuyt P, Burisch J, Collins P, El-Hussuna A, Ellul P, Frei-Lanter C, Furfaro F, Gingert C, Gionchetti P, Gomollon F, González Lorenzo M, Gordon H, Hlavaty T, Juillerat P, Katsanos K, Kopylov U, Krustins E, Lytras T, Maaser C, Magro F, Marshall JK, Myrelid P, Pellino G, Rosa I, Sabino J, Savarino E, Spinelli A, Stassen L, Uzzan M, Vavricka S, Verstockt B, Warusavitarne J, Zmora O, Fiorino G, European Crohn’s and Colitis Organisation (ECCO). ECCO Guidelines on Therapeutics in Crohn’s Disease. Part 1: GRADE-based recommendation. J Crohn Colitis 2020;14:4-22.
17. Andrews CN, Sidani S, Marshall JK. Clinical management of the microbiome in irritable bowel syndrome. J Can Assoc Gastroenterol 2020 [in press].
18. Hughes A, Marshall J, Moretti M, Ungar WJ. A cost-utility analysis of biosimilar infliximab compared to reference infliximab in adult patients with Crohn’s disease. J Can Assoc Gastroenterol 2020 [in press].
Please submit this form if you are interested in having Dr. Marshall visit your centre.